LYMPHATIC DRAINAGE MASSAGE or Manual Lymphatic Drainage (MLD) is a type of massage which intends to encourage the natural circulation of the lymph through the body. The lymph system depends on peristalsis and the movement of skeletal muscles to squeeze fluid through lymph ducts and vessels. According to Dr. Vodder, MLD is an advanced therapy in which the practitioner uses a range of specialized and gentle rhythmic pumping techniques to move the skin in the direction of the lymph flow.
Lymphedema is a condition of localised fluid retention and tissue swelling. Excessive amounts of protein rich fluid accumulate in one or more regions of the body. This is caused by a compromised lymphatic system.
The Lymphatic system is a network of vessels and nodes throughout the body. It returns the fluid from the body tissues back to the bloodstream. From there it is recirculated back into the tissues. Tissues with Lymphedema are at risk of infection.
Lipedema (Painful Fat Syndrome)
Lipedema is a chronic disease, occurring mostly in females. It is characterised by bilateral symmetric enlargement of the limbs, secondary to the deposition of fat. The fatty tissue excess is extending from the hip region down to the ankles, in 30% of the cases the upper extremities are affected as well. The cause is associated with extensive hormonal disorders or liver dysfunctions (if present in males) as well as with genetics. Lipedema can develop already during puberty, but the mean age of diagnosis is around 35. Other triggers can include pregnancy, peri-menopause or trauma (surgery).
Lipedema is not rare and commonly misdiagnosed as bilateral lymphedema, extreme cellulitis or morbid obesity. As a result of prolonged overstrain of the lymphatic system, lymphedema may develop secondary to lipedema (LIPO-LYMPHEDEMA).
Benefits of Lymphatic Drainage Massage Perth
- Intends to relieve fluid congestion, e.g. swollen ankles, tired puffy eyes, swollen legs during pregnancy, swellings after trauma and surgery
- Can improve chronic conditions, e.g. sinusitis, rheumatoid arthritis, scleroderma, acne and other skin conditions
- May strengthen the immune system and help with the reduction of allergic reactions (eg. hayfever)
- Promotes the healing of fractures, torn ligaments and sprains and lessens the pain
- Promotes healing of wounds and burns and improves the appearance old scars
- Minimizes or reduces stretch marks and can assist in the REDUCTION OF CELLULITE
- Is preventative and remedial
Combining Lymphatic Drainage Massage & Myofascial Release Perth
During the past few years I have started to combine Lymphatic Drainage Massage and Myofascial Release Techniques during my treatment sessions. The positive results reported by my clients, have motivated me to keep continuing with this kind of treatment. It appears to achieve instant benefits for a wide variety of symptoms. The results last longer compared to the application of Lymphatic Drainage Remedial Massage as a single treatment option.