Deep Tissue Massage
The term 'Deep Tissue Massage' is a generic expression that describes body work that goes below superficial connective tissue. This form of treatment is in high demand in Perth.
The Purpose of Deep Tissue Massage
The initial intention of Deep Tissue Massage is to break up old structural patterns. Consequently, this allows the free flow of nutrients and oxygen in the blood. This type of massage is performed to eliminate knots and locked up areas. As a result, it frees up congestion of the muscle attachments. Muscles that are free of adhesions, allow a better range of movement. Therefore they are also more effective regarding strength and endurance. This is especially relevant in any form of muscle training. As a result, Deep Tissue Massage is a sought -after treatment choice in various fields of physical exercise. Activities include gym workouts, endurance training like running, cycling and athletics and also dancing and gymnastics. Perth offers a considerable amount of outdoor sports and hence this alternative therapy form is very popular.
The Application of the Technique
During a Deep Tissue treatment a considerable amount of pressure is applied by the therapist. Techniques include deep, gliding pressure along the length of the muscle fibre, as well as friction across the grain of the muscle. The aim is therefore to release adhesions and to realign tissue fibres. In some cases this may cause some discomfort.
Hence a slow and steady pressure held over a prolonged period of time usually allows the tissue to release at its own pace.
It is most noteworthy that Deep Tissue Massage and Trigger Point Therapy can be rather well combined in the same session. Gittalife is one of the clinics in Perth combining these approaches together.
Indications for Deep Tissue Massage
- Tight/overly contracted muscles and trigger points
- Tension headache
- Accumulation of lactic acid after sports or gym workout
- Postural related muscle tension
- Chronic muscle pain and soreness
- Adhesions in muscles after injuries (strains/ sprains etc)
Benefits of Deep Tissue Massage
Deep Tissue Massage may assist in
- Reduction of pain
- Increase of range of motion by restoring mobility
- Relaxation and soothing of muscle tissue
- Breaking up of scar tissue
- Increase or maintenance of muscle flexibility
- Imrovement or maintenance of overall muscle performance
- Increase or maintenance of postural related muscle endurance
- Assistance in performance improvement with strength training
- Assistance in equalising of overall muscle tension