Lymphatic Drainage Massage
The lymph system depends on peristalsis and the movement of skeletal muscles to squeeze fluid through lymph ducts and vessels. Lymphatic Drainage Massage or Manual Lymphatic Drainage (MLD) is a type of massage that encourages the natural circulation of the lymph through the body. According to Dr. Vodder, MLD is an advanced therapy. The practitioner uses a range of specialized and gentle rhythmic pumping techniques to move the skin in the direction of the lymph flow.
The Lymphatic system is a network of vessels and nodes throughout the body. It returns the fluid from the various tissues back to the bloodstream. From there it recirculates back into the body tissues.
Lymphedema is a condition of localised fluid retention and tissue swelling. Therefore excessive amounts of protein rich fluid accumulate in one or more regions of the body. This is due to a compromised lymphatic system. Consequently, tissues with Lymphedema are at risk of infection.
Lipedema (Painful Fat Syndrome)
Lipedema is a chronic disease, occurring mostly in females. It is characterised by bilateral symmetric enlargement of the limbs. This is due to the secondary deposition of fat. The fatty tissue excess is extending from the hip region down to the ankles. In 30% of the cases the upper extremities are affected as well. Extensive hormonal disorders or liver dysfunctions (if present in males), as well as genetics, are the cause. Lipedema can develop already during puberty. The mean age of diagnosis is around 35. In addition, other triggers can include pregnancy, peri-menopause or trauma (surgery).
It is most noteworthy that Lipedema is not rare. It is yet commonly misdiagnosed as bilateral lymphedema, extreme cellulitis or morbid obesity. As a result of prolonged overstrain of the lymphatic system, lymphedema may develop secondary to lipedema (LIPO-LYMPHEDEMA).
Benefits of Lymphatic Drainage Massage
- Intends to relieve fluid congestion, e.g. swollen ankles, tired puffy eyes, swollen legs during pregnancy, swellings after trauma and surgery
- Can improve chronic conditions, e.g. sinusitis, rheumatoid arthritis, scleroderma, acne and other skin conditions
- May strengthen the immune system and help with the reduction of allergic reactions (eg. hayfever)
- Promotes healing of fractures, torn ligaments and sprains and lessens the pain
- Promotes healing of wounds and burns and improves the appearance of old scars
- Intends to minimize or reduce stretch marks and can assist in the reduction of cellulite
- Assists in regulation of bowl function
- Is preventative and remedial
Combining Lymphatic Drainage Massage & Myofascial Release Therapy
In recent years, GittaLife in Perth started to combine Lymphatic Drainage Massage and Myofascial Release Therapy during the same treatment session. This is a unique treatment approach with rather extensive session times of 2.5 hours or more. Hence this is the only clinic in Perth that offers this kind of therapy. Many patients report instant benefits for a wide variety of symptoms. It appears that the results last longer compared to the application of Lymphatic Drainage Massage by itself. Therefore GittaLife is extremely motivated to constantly optimise the benefits of this combination treatment.